Sarah Goudie is a visual artist based in the West Midlands working through drawing to explore a multi-disciplinary practice including sculpture, writing, film and photography.
Arts Education: MA Fine Art at Birmingham School of Art (Birmingham City University) 2012-2014. BA Fine Art at Wimbledon School of Art 1997-2000, Art Foundation Diploma, Chelsea School of Art, London 1996-1997.
Sarah has exhibited within group and solo shows in the UK. Photographs of her drawings have been published in the Fine Art Journal, Zétésis. She taught the ‘Drawing in Space’ two-day activity for the Artist Teacher Scheme at Birmingham City University and continues to research the complexities and rewards of a process and a ‘spatial’ approach to drawing. She co-develops the exhibition and workshop programme at General Office Gallery and Studio space in Stourbridge.
Current Arts Practice: A fascination endures with drawing as a place to gather and curate investigations into spaciousness, dispersal and endurance; poetics of beauty and injury, poise and longing are the foundation for current practice.
- #Drawingouttheday a series of small (up to A3) graphite drawings made as ‘conversational’ devices to extend/complete another lockdown day.
- #PianoPiece an ongoing project (begun January 2020) using the gifted remains of a discarded piano to stimulate sculptural practice and investigate themes of endurance and a time passing, through drawing, photography, writing and film.
Education practice: 2012-2018 Sarah founded the social enterprise bread2shareCIC, working within social care and education environments with the creative and physical process of bread-making to build creative communities and investigate immersive, material well-being,
- 2013-2018 ‘Drawing in Space’ delivered a two-day activity for the Artist Teacher Scheme at Birmingham City University
- Current: Workshops / Classes:– #drawingyourspace – co-facilitated a program of drawing sessions and classes; working through material process and building creative resilience through drawing.
- Development Co-ordinator: General Office Gallery and Studios, 12 Hagley Road, Stourbridge, DY8 1PS